Saturday, June 16, 2007

Happy Fathers' Day!

The title says it all. :P Went out with him and my mom to eat his weekly lui cha, a traditional Hakka dish comprising of vegetables, taufu, nuts and soup. The soup can look a little too greenish for the uninitiated, and it's taste definitely takes getting used to. But I totally agree with my dad that it's one of those little Hakka treasures worth savouring. My dad's Hakka by the way. I'm an embarassment to the Hakka clan as I can't speak a single word of the language. Not only is lui cha healthy, it also makes a deliciously satisfying meal. My dad's completely hooked on it. Goes to Puchong nearly every weekend with my mom to eat it for lunch. Haven't really spent a lot of time with Papa since coming home. Mainly 'cos he's always busy at work and comes back late at night. Even when I was still hanging around in Malaysia, he was pretty busy and such. But anyway it was good to enjoy a simple lunch with him again today. Love you Papa! And though it may seem that we (my sisters and I) don't pay heed to what you say ('cos we've heard it a hundred times?) we really, really, REALLY do appreciate all the advice you've given us. Thank you for a truly wonderful father and may we continue to learn from your wisdom. Have a safe journey to Germany. Love you always. :)

2 comments:

Steve said...

That dish is most commonly found in Sarawak. My grandparents make them for a special occasion every year but I'm not sure what it is. Traditionally comes with 32 different side dishes. But the soup's too bitter for me

Alexis said...

Haha cool... 32 different side dishes... The one my family eats is only a bowl of vege+rice and soup. And the soup's not bitter at all leh. I guess yours is a different version. Sarawak version. :)