Friday, April 17, 2009

International Primary Health Care

Am halfway through my GP SCAP now. It was a good thing I got International Primary Health Care (IPHC) instead of a city GP (for those non-Adelaide Uni ppl, we get to choose the type/location of our GP rotation from a list of things. Some students even opt to create their own). IPHC was unexpectedly fantastic! The first half was basically interactive lectures on medicine in a Third World setting. Things like sanitation, maternal and child health, HIV, TB, mental health and cross-cultural issues. I think it was not just the lecture content, the speakers themselves were so passionate and experienced in what they did. Most of them spent a large part of their careers working and living in areas of need like Nepal, Cambodia, Africa etc. A whole heap of sad things happen as we speak, but the suffering of the unfortunate millions aren't heard by those on greener pastures. Nothing is ever enough to change everything, but what these doctors did made a world of a difference to those they touched. Also, I learnt that it's more important to ensure sustainability of your works rather than playing 'saviour' for a month and flying off, leaving people to sink back into helplessness.

We had to put together a presentation for our own development program at the end of the 3 weeks. Basically had to explain to a panel of donors/judges a.k.a. our examiners what our development program was, and why we deserve xxx amount of cash to fund that project. Our examiners were quite meticulous, so things had to be done up as if it were the real thing. My group chose to build schools and set up an education program in Bhola Island, Bangladesh. It was a bit hard to get things together since we had the Easter weekend in between, but luckily I had awesome groupmates. =)

We also got to visit the Royal Flying Doctors base. Climbed into one of their planes like the little jakuns we were. :P Overall a very productive and fun rotation. It kinda inspired me to spend some time working in international health. I wish I had this rotation early on in 5th year, or maybe 4th year. If I did I would have jumped on the opportunity to follow one of the doctors on their missions overseas. Maybe Nepal.

For the second half of my GP SCAP, I'll be in Maitland, Yorke Peninsula. It'll be like a rural posting 'cos Maitland is 2 hours 45 mins drive from the city. And guess what? I just bought a car and collected it TODAY aaaaand will be driving there! OMGWTF that's scary shite for a hopeless driver like me. Thank God Xian-Nian is here now with me!

Feast your eyes on my brand new Hyundai Getz 5 door hatchback in Sky blue. Automatic transmission of course. Thanks Papa! Please pray for the safety of me and my car. And stay tuned for my next adventure. :P

1 comment:

Thinesh Rajasingam said...

Hey Leng Hui, just returned to reading your blog after like a year! Good post on that SCAP, its my first choice for next year, so I do hope its as good as you say it is if I get it! Im into doing it for the same reasons you are, and Im interested in developing world health too!

I do like the topics you blog about in general too, mix of serious and fun, and I looked your article on racism in Australia as well, quite shocking. However, if you dont mind me saying, I was surprised you used the term 'Jakun' in your post. In my opinion, since we share similar stands against racism, it would be best if we avoided that word--most Malaysians dont realise it refers to the proud Orang Asli of the Jakun tribe who live on the shores of Tasik Chini in Pahang. I dont wanna nitpick, just think we can make a difference in battling racism back home if we were careful with our words like this too.

Keep up the good blogging!