Thursday, April 23, 2009

I made a patient cry...

....and of all places to do it, I did it in this small, little town. Now I'm praying and hoping not to bump into her on the street or while doing my shopping in Foodland (the most happening place in town). And you know the worst part? I can't remember her face!

She came in for a simple follow-up. I was supposed to take her history and the doctor would evaluate me. I introduced myself ("Good morning. I'm Leng, a 6th year medical student. Is it alright if we have a chat?" *big smile*) 2 minutes into the history, she suddenly said "I find this all very uncomfortable. I can't take this anymore!", burst into tears, and ran out of the office. Neither I nor the doctor saw that coming. Suffice to say, it didn't go down well with the clinic staff. They had to call to apologize and calm her down. She said she was very upset and felt that she was being interrogated. She didn't come back for her consult that day.

Looks like my people skills still need heaps of work. Wish I could apologize to her in person. That's the first time I upset a patient, but I guess I should be grateful it happened when I'm still a student.

More photos of this little town:


The main street. Key attractions include the supermarket, post office, bakery, pub and butcher.


The most happening place in town. Seriously.


Aside from the quiet, there's a nice country charm to the place.

For some reason, no matter how small a town is, there's ALWAYS a church. It really echoes of Adelaide a.k.a. The City of Churches.

Anzac Day is coming up this weekend. Sucks that Monday won't be a holiday too.

No comments: