Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Possum

The townhouse I'm staying in is surrounded by greenery (which I oh-so love). Naturally, this attracts lots of wildlife (which I love too). I still don't get tired of watching the flocks of multi-coloured parrots flying about outside my balcony. And sometimes they even eat the fruits off the tree out in the backyard. But! This creature here, as interesting as he is, can be annoying. At first I thought it was a lemur or civet cat-like thingy. Learnt from Jeremy it's actually a possum. Aborigines (and ONLY Aborigines) can catch and eat them! And they're endemic to this area. When I first spotted them last year Ken thought I was seeing things.... Until they started making a ruckus on the roof every other night. They are nocturnal creatures and like walking about on the roof. There's definitely at least two of them 'cos they fight very often. During those fights it feels like the roof may collapse or something. And they hiss and shriek! They really do! So menancing somemore! There were a few times sleeping in the middle of the night, I was abruptly woken by loud thumping and shrieking directly on top of my head. Wah that time I was a bit scared. I was like, "What if the ceiling collapses and the possum lands right on top of my face?" But I guess that's unlikely. They're on the roof anyway, not in between the roof and the ceiling (I hope!). This picture was taken months ago. Saw him climbing a tree branch outside my house so I quickly snapped the bugger.

So there. Yet another weird and wonderful thing about good ol' Adelaide.

No comments: