Sunday, February 04, 2007

Tea

Ohhh God.. yet another hot day. Went grocery shopping at central market and Chinatown. Bought meat, vegetables, fruits, pots, bowls, chopsticks, wireless modem, etc etc and lugged them around the city in the horrible heat. Worse still, the wind was hot too. As we stood at the bus stop, the ham and chicken were cooking, the vegetables were wilting and the modem was melting. -_-" Then later had a little picnic with some IMU seniors in the botanical gardens. Ken and I have moved into our new house already. What work that was... all my luggage + stuff I bought here + miscellaneous food items + 40kg of DHL stuff. Thank goodness for the hostel owner, who offered to drive me there. Haven't unpacked my belongings yet, just too lazy and too tired.

Anyway... I'm currently doing my surgery posting in The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Colorectal unit. There's a number of units or surgery, each dealing with specific body systems (e.g. vascular, upper GI, breast and endocrine and colorectal). The first week hasn't been that productive for me, but at the same time it was stressful la. Like, I still haven't gotten a suitable patient to present for consultation ward rounds, and I'm yet to observe a surgery. So... this week I wanna work harder on those things. *Sigh* 6 months of not studying has left me...stoned. My mind is blank. I can't find time to study leh.... Wake up at 5-something every morning, catch a bus to the city, then walk to another bus stop and catch a different bus to the hospital, go for ward rounds, clerk patients, etc etc, come back in the evening feeling dead on my feet, cook dinner, rest a bit, and it's already 11pm. How to study? Hope I get used to this real soon... The local students are quite friendly, and they seem to be really good at what they do. Kind of sets the bar for what you're expected to achieve. It's a bit to early to make any conclusions, so I'll just take things as they come and hope for the best...

My house. It's an apartment in the suburbs, just 5 minutes bus ride from the city. Fully furnished (which is a very big plus point) and pretty small and cosy. The landlord left us with a fridge full of stuff and a cupboard of spices, most of them we can't even identify. Last night we wanted to make some tea (brain going flatline but had to finish our online case studies!), but forgot to bring the sugar from the old accomodation. Since the landlord left his cupboard full of spices, and food, there had to be sugar somewhere right? Looked through it... and found this bottle of what looked like sugar. So we put some into our cups....

Ken: *Sips tea in the kitchen* DON'T DRINK THE TEA.
Lhui: Hah? Why?
Ken: Because that wasn't sugar!!

...it wasn't salt either, if that's what you're thinking. It tasted a lot worse than salt. Turned out that the bottle of 'sugar' was some weird ajinomoto... nearly choked when I tried it. How on earth can one not have sugar at home? You have like a million and one spices in your cupboard, but no sugar? Weird...

It's 1.18a.m. now, gotta sleep. Have to go back to hospital tomorrow and hunt down patients for Monday's case presentation. Wanted to post up pictures of our second trip to Glenelg Beach, but that will have to wait. Nights...

No comments: