Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hail in Subang

Me: Hello?
Calvin: Eh Leng Hui! Got hail lah just now! Did you see?
Me: HAHHH??!?!?

Apparently it HAILED in Subang Jaya yesterday evening. But I was too absorbed in my computer game at that time to bother walking to the window, which was just 10 feet away... *Sigh* I missed one of the weirdest occurrences in Subang this year. Just because I was too lazy to get my atrophied butt off the chair.

Vee Han's brother was even funnier ("Vee Han! The world is ending! Got stones falling out of the sky!").

Yesterday's rain didn't ease the situation much. My sisters have today and tomorrow off from school because the condition in Petaling Jaya has worsened. Some people must be thinking: "Why is this girl always blogging about the weather? Doesn't she have anything else to blog about?"

Well...

Was talking to Vee Han yesterday about his Semester 2 Kuala Kubu Bahru posting. He told me there was this 15-year old girl who committed suicide and her body was sent to the morgue. It's so tragic; many young people these days are taking their own lives. The reasons are varied, be it exam pressure, family problems, drug addiction, or being jilted by their boyfriend/girlfriend. But does all this justify the act of taking a razor and slashing it deep into your throat? Why down a whole bottle of Paracetamol because you didn't pass your PMR? I mean, there're bigger things in life than a set of multiple choice questions (wait... now some of the PMR papers have subjective questions, but still...).

I suppose I have to try to look at this from his/her perspective. What was the most important thing to you when you were 15? Personally, I can't really remember, most probably it was (and still is) my family. What were your goals in life? Perhaps when we were that age, little things like PMR meant the world to us. Nothing comes close to being as challenging and gruelling as that. "I have to pass I have to pass I have to pass. If I don't everyone will think I'm stupid, I can't get into science stream, I won't be able to find a job and the world will end." Thoughts like this run through the heads of some students. It's devastating and all-consuming, this feeling.

In retrospect, the trials and tribulations of my adolescence seem pretty diminutive compared to the things I'm experiencing now. And in the future, when I'm past my prime, I'll be saying the same thing about my university life. It's the fact that when we've overcome an obstacle, it doesn't look so daunting anymore. Someone once told me: In adversity, we find strength. It's in rising to life's challenges and fighting against its current, despite your fear and insecurity that we discover the true beauty of being alive. And at the end of the day, when all's said and done, it isn't whether we succeed or not which is most important. It is the satisfaction sense of fulfilment we give ourselves, knowing that we tried our very best. For what is life, without struggle?

Heh. Easier said than done. Wait till EOS 5 comes along...

To my fellow batch mates who didn't make it the first time around, don't despair. There's still another chance. I respect your perseverance. Fight on! I'll see you all in Semester 4. :)

No comments: