Saturday, October 04, 2008

Of old friends and dead macerated babies...

Another month flies by. Seng Kiat came to visit last week. The lucky guy has graduated and will be starting his new job soon, so he decided to embark on a month-long tour of Australia: Brisbane, Adelaide and then Melbourne. He stayed in Adelaide for about 10 days, mostly in his cousin's place and a couple of nights at mine. Wish I didn't have my finals looming over my head. Would've been brought him around more. Also wished I had a car. Didn't help either that the rotation I was doing at that time was Surgical Pathology and I was expected to turn up for most of the day, Monday to Friday. Ok, I know, those work hours are like no-duh since I'm a studying medicine and all, but I feel so lazy now. I've lost the drive to hang about the hospital, just wanna go back and rest and read comics and (hopefully) study.

Speaking of which, Surg path was a somewhat novel experience, though I wouldn't want to be doing it for more than 3 weeks. Got to see a side of medicine that usually goes unnoticed: the behind-then-scenes-work that produces those path and autopsy reports we see on the computers. Since I was posted to the Women's and Kid's Hospital, most of the autopsies were on dead babies and miscarriages. Some weren't that gruesome, some were so macerated and hydropic they looked like a pile of liquefied meat held together by bloody membranes. There was one that got decapitated at birth. I couldn't imagine how that would happen until I saw the baby myself. Poor thing was only 21 weeks gestation and so hydropic, wasn't a wonder then the head tore off during the forceps extraction (baby was breech). Aside from the autopsies, there were cut-ups of placentas (which stank like rotten pork) and viewing of histology slides. I'm not fond of microscopes. Somehow it makes me dizzy and nauseous. Autposies I enjoy. The only things I don't like is looking at endless trays of slides and the absolute non-existance of clinical work.

Anyway... this was also the only rotation in which I got to play with Photoshop in the hospital the whole day! My counsultant decided that instead of doing a presentation and literature review, I should do a presentation and poster for the medical museum. "Umbilical Cord Abnormalities" was my topic. Never knew knowing how to use Photoshop could come in handy in med school. ^_^

Okie, here are some pictures from my outings with Seng Kiat (slideshows in this order):

Part 1: Cleland Wildlife Park with SK's cousin, Aki and her bf Troy.

Part 2: Mount Lofty Summit, The Astor and Elephant Walk at Melbourne Street.

Part 3: German food at Hahndorf, ABs at O'connell Street then back to my place. :P






No comments: