Thursday, July 17, 2008

Stranglers + My First NGT + Random Updates





Dunno why but I find it hillarious! Heh.

I finally got to put in a nasogastric tube a few weeks ago. It's all these super simple procedures that keep eluding me. I know, I know, it's an idiot-proof proof thing and even a monkey can do it, but I don't feel satisfied until I've done it hands on. Same goes with assisting with delivering a baby. Didn't feel like I completed my O&G rotation until I did at least one. Anyway I got the scare of my life la with this patient...

She was in ICU with sepsis. Asked the registrar if I could do it for him and he said OK. Slid the thing in, auscultated to check if it was in the stomach, aspirated gastric contents. Registrar was happy. NGT was taped in place, patient sent for chest X-ray to double check. 2 hours later, the consultant was going through the X-rays during the round. She looked at that patients chest X-ray and said: "The course of the tube is very odd. I think the NGT is in the lungs..."

I was like!!!!!! Internally going "SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHITTTTTT!!" How could I screw up something so simple? I was pretty darned sure it was in the stomach. So consultant asks nurse to check the NGT aspirate. Looked like gastric contents. pH test scored a 7. Wah that time I even more panic... After a few minutes of debating between the consultant and registrar, it was discovered that the patient was on proton-pump inhibitors. Maybe too much of it. That caused the ridiculous gastric content pH.

....so the conclusion was, the NGT is in the stomach and working fine. Cease PPIs. *PHEW*

Haha handed in my Geriatrics and Rehabilitation Medicine write-ups today! One stone off my back for now. That medication review and management planning for my patient was giving me white hair. My patient was on 16 different medications. My report ended up being 20 pages of crap no thanks to that.

Am finishing up my week with pain presentations tomorrow. Can't wait 'cos the weekend's here!


My Current Obsessions (all the things I can't wear to hospital!!! *SOBB*):
1. Denim dresses
2. Vests
3. Skinny Jeans
4. Tartan

No comments: