Saturday, September 15, 2007

Do birds go to heaven?

Psych viva is over!!! Yay!! Was pretty lucky to have gotten the clinical vignette on suicide. Thank goodness... if I got some of the other questions I would have just froze there. Like Steph got asked exactly which antipsychotics to give and their DOSAGE. Which 4th year student memorises the dosage? The second part of the viva was a little unexpected: CBT. Had to dig deep into the sparse recesses of my tiny brain to find something back from my IMU days to answer that. What's done is done, didn't get a callback yesterday, so I assume I've passed. :P

Went to Sheng Kai a.k.a. Sean's 23rd birthday party at his gf Quinnie's house yesterday night. Suffice to say, Quinnie did a fantastic job with the food and organising. Not much photos, but yeah, it was a much-needed break from psych.

Anyway....

The morning before the psych viva, something weird happened. Woke up and had breakfast as usual... was just starting on some notes in my room when *BANG!!!* what sounded like something crashed/broke a window pane on my balcony. Peered out and saw this cute little pigeon sitting demurely on the balcony.

No broken window pane, no fallen objects. So I assumed that this bird must have flew smack into my window. It didn't fly away when I touched it, so it must have been injured pretty badly (but of course, since a bird smashing into a window pane is like a guy getting hit by a brick wall). Picked him (or her?) up. Looked ok. Eyes open, but not very responsive. Heart was beating etc.

Then 30 seconds later, his eyes rolled over. And the neck went limp. His heart beat was getting faint. I was like: "OK... shit. what to do. Erm... is he going into shock? Uh... chest compressions!!!"

Which I did for a few cycles. No, I didn't do mouth to mouth. How to do that on a bird? He did jerk a little after every few compressions, but then he eventually passed away...

Felt bad for taking photos of him like that, and didn't want to just throw him in the dustbin. So I dug a little grave for him in the backyard. Went back after the psych viva and decorated his 'gravestone'.

Rest in peace, little bird. May you be happy in pigeon heaven. Sorry I could not prevent your passing.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Really? We get tested on the dosages here

Alexis said...

Ooo... then I guess it's just me being lazy and not memorising the dosage. :P